Additional Educational Needs Support & Guidance

Additional educational needs (AEN). The term additional educational needs includes the following:

  • children with learning needs such as dyslexia or dyspraxia
  • children with developmental needs such as Down Syndrome
  • children with sensory needs such as hearing impairment
  • children with social, emotional and behavioural needs
  • children with medical needs
  • children for whom English is not their first language
  • looked-after children
  • vulnerable children
  • gifted and talented children

SEN Level Descriptors

What do the terms mean?

The term ‘Special Educational Needs’ has a legal definition. Children with Special Educational Needs all have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. These children may need extra ordifferent help from that given to other children of the same age.


Children who are made a ‘Record of Concern’ are NOT placed on the school’s Special Needs Register. This is a stage at which a child can be monitored and assessed to see whether specialised support and intervention will be needed at a later stage. Background information will be gathered from parents and teachers


Children identified as School Action require support which is additional to and different from the class-based curriculum. School Action children are placed on the Special Needs Register and will be included on a class Provision Map and are supported by a Teaching Assistant (TA) and also by their teacher, whilst also using group work and various intervention groups. Copies of Provision Maps will be sent out to parents and targets will be reviewed termly.


As with School Action, children identified as being School Action Plus are included on a class Provision Map and  supported by an TA and their teacher. However, the difference is that they also require the additional involvement of an outside agency such as Speech and Language Therapy, Specialist Teaching Service or Behaviour Support Service.


Children who have received a Statement of Special Educational Needs from the Local Education Authority are identified as being Statutory Action. The Statement document will describe the child’s SEN and the special help they should receive which cannot be provided from the school’s existing resources. These resources could include money, staff time and specialist equipment.

 ‘Frequently Asked Questions’

What do I do if I have concerns regarding my child?

Initially it is best to approach your child’s class teacher with any concerns or information you may have. Following your discussion it can be decided whether a meeting needs to be set up with the SENCo, Mrs Holmes. Appointments can be made through the office.

How will I know if my child has support for Special Educational Needs?

If a class teacher has concerns about your child’s progress they will speak to you first and may fill out a ‘Record of Concern’ form. These are forms to help us gather background information about your child so that we can gain a clearer picture of where their difficulties may lie. If your child is put on the SEN Register as School Action, School Action Plus or Statutory Action they will receive additional support.

What help is available?

Support for additional needs can take various forms. We have an excellent team of specially trained Teaching Assistants who will support your child either in class or through intervention groups. Some TAs have been trained up in specific areas of special needs expertise, such as speech and language or Social Communication, so that they are able to deliver more specialised support packages where necessary. Similarly, specialist equipment and resources are available to support individual targets. Where possible, children with additional needs will have classroom activities differentiated so that they are able to access an age appropriate curriculum.

How will my child’s progress be monitored?

Provision Maps are reviewed termly. Following that review, new targets will be set and you will be sent a copy of the new Provision Map. At this time, we also review any children who have been made a ‘Record of Concern’ to see if the concerns remain and, if so, how we will proceed. All of our TAs keep detailed records each time they support a child so that they can continuously monitor progress and make changes to the support where necessary. Provision Maps can be altered mid term where progress has been slow or where more urgent priorities have arisen. Statemented children (Statutory Action) will have an Annual Review of their Statement to which parents and outside agencies are invited. In addition, we also have a termly In School Review meeting where children can be discussed and further advice sought.

Information on supporting a child with Additional Education Needs can be found below.


Click below to find out more about Autism

Autism info Booklet August 2013


Click here to visit the Kent West Dyslexia Association website