Work during school absence/closure linked to COVID-19
As of Thursday 16th April 2020, all work is set on Google Classroom. Please contact the school office if you did not receive an email providing details.
We are providing a mix of online suggestions and three paper based work books. The work books are all published by CGP and are:
- KS2 English Targeted Question Book Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling,
- KS2 English Targeted Question Book Comprehension and
- KS2 Maths Targeted Question Book.
During this time of extended absence we recommend wherever possible to maintain a daily routine. A good idea would be to sit with your child and create a timetable so they feel involved and have some ownership. We would recommend each day to complete tasks in:
- some form of physical activity (good resource booklet at the bottom of the page) and
- a minimum of 30 minutes of reading.
- Continue to practise times tables.
A great online resource is: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
- MA BOOKS
Please could you continue to use MA books just as a homework tool following the current amount per week. Please don’t complete the whole book within a few weeks as we will continue to use this as our homework when we are back to normal!
- Daily home maths lessons hosted by Gareth Metcalfe during the UK school closures. http://www.iseemaths.com/home-lessons/
The Literacy Shed is an excellent website for creative writing ideas and resources:
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY - PE
Do a PE lessons with Joe Wicks every morning: https://www.thebodycoach.com/blog/pe-with-joe-1254.html
ART AND CRAFT
To provide variety we would also recommend activities in art and craft, history/geography (link to current topic at school) etc.
We have also collated a range of ONLINE RESOURCES to get your started:
TWINKLE – Primary Resources KS2
Twinkl have offered free access for parents during this period. Please follow the link below and enter the following code: CVDTWINKLHELPS once you have logged on go to the Parents’ Hub to find resources specific to age and subject. www.twinkl.co.uk/offer
A great free resources for your child to learn how to type is: www.typingclub.com
Year 4 specific links are below and your child’s username - example: John S
- 4W - www.amherst-4w.typingclub.com
- 4C - www.amherstschool.typingclub.com
- 4SF - www.amherst4sf.typingclub.com
OTHER USEFUL WEBSITES for teaching and learning ideas and resources are:
We would also like to draw your attention in your child’s planner to the very useful list of ‘Things I can do before leaving Amherst School’. Many of these are
- practical activities that can be completed inside but also in a garden ranging from
- learning to tie your shoe laces to
- knowing all the words to the National Anthem!
- There are activities listed which are part of the school curriculum such as telling the time on an analogue clock.
The planner also contains a wide range of resources to support your child’s learning such as a multiplication square, maps and year group spelling lists.
We will continue update resources as appropriate.
Thank you for all your continued support.